Over 3 million Ontarians are employed by small businesses. Small businesses across the province are #TooBig2Ignore.
Quick facts about small businesses in Ontario:
- Small businesses are the backbone of the Ontario economy, making important contributions to local communities across the province
- There are over 400,000 small businesses in Ontario, providing important jobs and livelihoods for many Ontarians
- Small businesses make up 98% of all Ontario businesses and 30% of Ontario’s provincial GDP
- Small businesses employ over 3,000,000 Ontarians and two-thirds of all private sector workers in Ontario
The top three obstacles identified in the 2016 report are still relevant today.
- Small businesses need access to talent.
- Small businesses need government investment in infrastructure;
- Small businesses are concerned about the rising costs of doing business.
Small businesses are a powerful and significant business group that deserves to be heard.
Small businesses constitute the vast majority of the OCC’s local Chamber members, volunteers, and are often the people actively involved in community service. Small businesses are the backbone of our economy and the heart of our local communities. They are simply too big to ignore.